My top ten cult film list
10) Barbarella One of the quirkiest films in history. It made a sex symbol out of Jane Fonda. As a wandering and swinging 41st century girl in plastic thigh highs traveling the galaxy in a furlined starship it was hard to keep your eyes off her. Best line “I’d better adjust my tongue box”
9) The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai The hero wore many hats in this zany film a scientist, surgeon, and rockstar. The villain was named Dr. Lizardo it was destined to be a cult classic. Coined the famous quote “Where ever you go,there you are “
8) Rushmore A very eccentric film about a strange schoolboy , a widowed teacher, and a sad tycoon. Very popular on video.
7) Night of the Living Dead Made with only $20,000 George Romero packed up equipment headed to northern Pennsylvania and shot this frightening zombie classic influenced every zombie movie to come .
6) The Warriors Walter Hill’s vision of urban paranoia.Street gangs in New York fight over territory.The Warriors try to get home to Coney Island in one piece. Filmed a low budget had some unique gang costumes,who could forget The Baseball Furys.
5) Blue Velvet David Lynch set the bar of quirky with this 1986 gem. With references to Vango and Dennis Hopper as a drug dealing, kidnapping sociopath this movie could not get anymore bazaar.
4) Repo Man Alex Cox’s punk /sci if classic about two guys who repossess cars. Very dark undertones Emilio Estevez’s character somehow finds higher meaning to life by repossessing cars.
3) Drugstore Cowboy Made on a small budget in Portland Gus Van Sant made a surreal film about bad habits. A very offbeat story of four drifters that rob pharmacies to support their oxycontin addiction. Memorable cameo by William S. Burroughs.
2) Heathers A sarcastic but truthful take on high school life. Heathers is one of the greatest dark comedies ever made. This anti-teen classic blew up the genre like no other film. The witty one-liners are nonstop and what a great ending.
1) Night of the Comet A story of life after the apocalypse. Two sisters and a truck driver find their way around Los Angeles battling off humans who got zombified after a comet hit. This one has it all zombies, evil scientists, snarky valley girls, witty one-liners, and a happy ending. Best quote “Attention K-Mart shoppers” Bombed at the box office but went on to be one of the most rented cult films on video.